- Just like real feta!
- Simple &
Store it in the fridge in a sealed container and consume it within a week. It is also freezer friendly.
This vegan feta tastes just like the real thing! It also crumbles just like real feta and is savory, salty and totally divine!
- 1 cup Raw Cashews (150g)
- 8 ounces Firm Tofu (226g)
- 1/4 cup Water (60ml)
- 5 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 2 and 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 cup Water (240ml)
- 1 Tbsp Agar Agar Powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Dried Dill
- Add the raw cashews, firm tofu, 1/4 cup water, lemon juice, white vinegar, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder and onion powder to the blender and blend. It will be thick. Set aside.
- Prepare a loaf pan or square dish by spraying with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Add one cup of water and a tablespoon of agar agar powder to a saucepan and bring to the boil stirring constantly. When it starts boiling, set a timer and let it boil (while you continue to stir) for 1 minute.
- Moving very quickly, as the agar starts to set up fast, pour out the agar/water mix into the blender with the other ingredients and blend in quickly. Then, again very quickly, pour this out into your prepared loaf pan.
- Smooth it down and then place into the fridge and leave it to set.
- Once the feta cheese has set, loosen the sides with a knife and tip it out onto a wooden board.
- Cut it into slices and then cut the slices into cubes.
- Place the cubes into a bowl with a lid, add the dried oregano and dried dill (optional) and then put on the lid and rotate the bowl so that all the pieces of feta get evenly covered.
- Now your vegan feta is ready to serve.
- Keep it stored in the fridge and enjoy within about a week. It is also freezer friendly if you think you may not finish it within a week.
- We did not soak the cashews first, but we are using a Vitamix. If you think your blender might struggle, then soak the cashews in hot water for 15 minutes.
- This must be the agar agar powder and not the flakes. If you’re using the flakes you will need to use 3 times as much to get the same result.
- This recipe makes around 22 ounces (623g) of vegan feta cheese.